content='index,follow' name='robots'/> Plain Talk and Ordinary Wisdom: Music Between the Notes

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Music Between the Notes

(Photos by Microsoft Clipart) ~~ We just started to get a rain shower tonight. What a wonderful break to have rain instead of snow.

As I sit listening to the patter of drops pondering what to write, I think of the beauty and wonder of this world and how most of the time we’re unconscious and miss so much of it. Just a little thing like a gentle rain can remind us to stop and listen to life that is going on all around and within us.

We miss it because we’re looking only with our eyes and ears and if it’s not obvious we move on. The essence – life – is the pause of your breath before you exhale, the feel of the air and expansion of the sky as you step outside, the sound of your heartbeat and the music between the notes.

Herein lies the key to a New World. The changes you’ve been believing in and praying for is already in our midst and in our presence if we would only look and listen with our soul eyes instead of our physical eyes.

Moment-to-moment and hour-by-hour, we can learn to be aware of the unseen and unspoken nuances around us and bring them into whatever we’re doing at the time allowing that energy to flow through us.

As Eckhart Tolle quotes from Hafiz, a 14th century Persian poet and Sufi master, as translated by Daniel Ladinsky in The Gift:

“I am a hole in a flute that the Christ’s breath moves through. Listen to this music.”

The answers we are looking for cannot be found in thought or form. We can’t use the same physical eyes and ears to understand. It’s as if we have to put that aside and listen as the animals listen. They are in tune with the energies and unseen forces of life and nature. That’s why they knew to move to higher ground when the tsunami hit in 2004.

Listening to the gentle rain connects me to the whole and I feel complete. For a little time, I’m conscious and sense the awesomeness of life. Sweet.

I hope you'll stop back for another visit. Join us at the virtual kitchen table. You can sign up for free!
Subscribe to Plain Talk and Ordinary Wisdom

Were you encouraged - got a lift for the day, please consider a donation. THANK YOU!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat,

I love the sound of the rain. It's quite therapeutic. It does remind us to stop, if only for a moment, doesn't it?

This is a beautifully written post. I can tell you're feeling quite introspective. You're giving us all a wonderful message with your well chosen words.

Thank you for sharing.

Pat said...

Barbara - thank you. Your comments always are a joy to receive.

It makes me feel good that you feel and catch sight of what I'm trying to express. Sometimes, I'm not sure if what I write makes much sense to anyone.

Here, in the Rocky Mountains, we don't get many all day or evening rain showers. They usually blow through real fast. When we do, I like to enjoy and savor them.

I saw my first rainbow today of the season and thought to write about that too but didn't get a chance.

Always enjoy the sharing. Looking forward to doing it again soon.

Blessings,

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat - this is my first visit to your blog (learned of you when you left a comment at mine!). I appreciate the beautiful cadence of your writing. It has an almost musical quality to it. I'm envious to hear that you live in the Rockies. That is one of my favorite places ever and really speaks to my soul.

Pat said...

Deb - I'm happy to hear you found me and stopped by. Thank you for the kind words about my writing. Wow! You made my day.

Yes, we've lived in a small town in the Rocky Mountains about 40 minutes from the west edge of the Denver suburbs.

We've lived here for 25 years and I am very thankful to be here. Like you, it is a place that speaks to my soul every day as I look out and take in the nature and scenery.

I hope you'll stop back again and continue to read and share. Let me know what you think.

Blessings,